Rational Numbers

This is for my 8th grade math teachers (or honestly, any person who can read a standard).

8.NS.1:  Know that numbers that are not rational are called irrational. Understand informally that every number has a decimal expansion; for rational numbers show that the decimal expansion repeats eventually, and convert a decimal expansion which repeats eventually into a rational number.

That highlighted portion stopped me in my tracks the last time I "unpacked" this standard.  I have read this standard so many times over the past 9 years.  When I teach this, however, I tell my students that rational numbers are either terminating or repeating decimals.  That is not what this standard says.  The standard says that rational numbers are repeating decimals.  

And it's true!

For those people who need some background knowledge.  Rational numbers are numbers that can be written as fractions where the numerator and denominator are both integers.  Irrational numbers cannot be written as fractions.  A common example of an irrational number is pi.  Pi's decimal expansion neither repeats nor terminates (ends).  

1/3 is a rational number because it can be written as a fraction.  Its decimal expansion is 0.3333333...

2/10 is a rational number because it can also be written as a fraction.  Its decimal expansion is 0.2.

The standard says that 2/10 is rational and that the decimal expansion repeats.  If students divide this by hand (hello, long division), they will see that there is a 0 that repeats.  

I don't know why, but this blew my mind.  I no longer have to say "rational numbers are terminating or repeating decimals."  All rational numbers are repeating decimals!

What do y'all tell students?  I mean, I still want them to have knowledge of terminating decimals, but I also want to have this discussion.  What do y'all think?


Until next time,

Cononiah W

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Grouping Cards

Mild, Medium, & Spicy

Be Flexible