Love Languages... and Teaching?

 Have you ever wondered how your love language influences you as a teacher?

No?

That's probably normal.

I'm no expert with love languages.  I'm sure you've heard of them before.  If you haven't, here's a quick breakdown.

The idea of love languages is fairly new.  They try to describe how we, individually, prefer to receive and give love.  The five love languages are:

  • Words of Affirmation
  • Quality Time
  • Receiving Gifts
  • Acts of Service
  • Physical Touch
Some people find validity in this idea, but some find it utter trash.  Whatever end of the spectrum you find yourself on, just keep reading.  It might be interesting.

I find myself preferring to receive love by words of affirmation.  This means I want to be verbally reassured.  I want to hear "I love you, I appreciate you."  I want to hear your feelings.  Well, what does this mean in terms of teaching?  I mean, this isn't a blog about my love life.  That would definitely be a short, lackluster post.  😂

Anywho.  Back to teaching.

How do I see my love language play out in my teaching career?  It is definitely there, and it's something I've thought about this school year (thanks to my student teacher).  I often invite people to my classroom to watch me teach.  Whenever someone comes, I ask for feedback.  I crave it.  I long for it!  I always want to know what I could do better to help my students be more engaged or to help them perform better on an assessment.  I need this!  I don't feel supported if I don't get it.

I don't feel supported if I don't get constructive feedback.

That's a strong statement, and I didn't really realize its truth until I typed it.  

On the other hand, however, I love to be told that I'm doing something right.  It's definitely a juggling act.  I want to be told I'm doing a good job as a teacher, but also tell me what I could do better.  They balance each other!  

This is quite easy for a school's administrative team to fulfill.  It's pretty natural.  Being observed, giving support, and validating good teaching.  That's what principals do - at least my present and former principals.  I know some of y'all have had poor experiences with school administration.  Thankfully, I can't relate.  💁🏾‍♀️

So my love language is fairly simple to cater to.  What about the others?

Just as teachers have to differentiate education for students, are admins expected to differentiate their support for teachers?  

Hmm...

A math teacher may want to be told when she's doing a good job (words of affirmation).  An English teacher may want to have a one-on-one meeting with the principal to talk about a lesson (quality time).  The history teacher may prefer to occasionally receive a casual dress day or a Friday snack from the administration team (receiving gifts).  The science teacher may prefer for the principal to help manage a difficult group of students for a class period (acts of service).  Lastly, the PE teacher may want the occasional fist bump or pat on the shoulder (physical touch).  

I don't regard gifts as much as words of affirmation.  Someone who prefers quality time may recoil from physical touch.  If appreciation is given in a form that does not match the recipient's love language, is the appreciation valued as much as it could be?

If you find value in love languages, think about your preference.  Do you think it plays a role in how you like to be supported as a teacher? 

Just something to think about.


Until next time, 
Cononiah

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Grouping Cards

Mild, Medium, & Spicy

Be Flexible